INTERNATIONAL ROUND TABLE „SERBIAN – ISRAELI RELATIONS“
The House the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia
On Monday, 25th February 2019, Institute for National and International Security INIS had the pleasure to organize International round table on the topic of improvement relations between Serbia and Israel in cooperation with National Assembly of Serbia and Serbia – Israel Parliamentary friendship group.
The round table was opened by showing a short film named „God remained silent“ by director Simo Brdar. The movie followed the narration of Sadik Danon – Braco, the last surviving Jew in Serbia who survived the concentration camp Jasenovac in so-called Independent State of Croatia, about the horrors he has witnessed while he was imprisoned in Jasenovac.
After the emotions settled down, prof. Dr Vladimir Marinković, Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia and Chairman of the Serbia-Israel Parliamentary friendship group opened the podium with greetings to all participants and guests who attended.
In the first part of the event participants were:
- H.E dr Alona Fisher-Kamm, Israeli Ambassador to Serbia
- Prof. dr Darko Trifunović, director of the Institute for National and International Security - INIS
- Prof. dr Zoran Dragišić, member of Parliament of National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia, member of INIS
- Prof. dr Vladimir Marinković, Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia and Chairman of the Serbia-Israel Parliamentary friendship group, member of INIS
After a short break, the program continued with lectures of the following participants:
- Dr Jonathan Fighel, rtd.col. of the International Institute for Countering Terrorism Herzliya, member of INIS
Mr. Rodoljub Oraščanin, President of ICEJ Serbia (who prepared the book on topic Serbian – Israeli Relations for all participants and guests)
- Dr Shaul Shay, member of International Institute for Countering Terrorism Herzliya, member of INIS
- Ms. Marija Vasić, professor in grammar school „ Jovan Jovanović Zmaj“ and author of the book „When God closed his eyes“ which presents a collection of stories of participants during the tree days of the occupation of the Novi Sad in 1942.
In the continuation of the event following participants presented their lectures:
- Brig. gen. Ephraim Lapid, director of Europa Institute of Bari-Ilan University, Tel Aviv, member of INIS
- Dr Barak Bouks, Bari-Ilan University in Tel Aviv
- Mr. Darko Obradović, Executive Secretary of the Institute for National an International Security - INIS
- Ms. Olga Israel Deutch, Vice President of NGO Monitor Israel
All participants, as experts in their fields have presented ways for future cooperation in all areas that pose as major problems in both countries. The round table was concluded with the consent of all the participants that, regardless of the good relations between Serbia and Israel, we should all try to make these relations the best they can be.